BlogHer

Monday, September 9, 2024

Polyamory and Other Polys

This is a delayed posting of my June column.

Lately I’ve been seeing the term “polyamory” in the media quite often. I know that “poly” means many or several. And I know that “amor” means love in Latin and Spanish. So I assumed that polyamory is a strong affection for several people. Hardly anything to merit media coverage unless there’s more to the story. I decided to research the term.

 

It turns out that polyamorous people have romantic relationships with more than one partner at the same time, and all the partners involved agree to this. It’s also defined as consensual nonmonogamy. You might think I’d want to travel down that road in more detail for this column, but you’d be wrong. I did wonder how many people would be needed for a relationship to be polyamorous (vs. just a love triangle). But what really piqued my interest was other uses for the compounded “poly.”

 

The notion of polyamorous relationships did call to mind Pollyanna, whose irrepressible optimism finds good in everything. But I want to explore “poly” with a single “l”. An obvious word to include here is polygamy. It doesn’t seem as sexy as polyamory, and it’s more structured, usually with one husband having multiple wives. Technically one wife could have multiple husbands. Either way the practice of polygamy is now illegal in the U.S.

 

As a lover of language, I quickly thought of polyglot, someone who knows and uses several languages. To be considered more than bilingual or trilingual, a polyglot can usually communicate in at least four languages. This is different from someone who prides herself on speaking polysyllabically. Using a lot of multi-syllable words does not a polyglot make. It just makes someone a long-winded sesquipedalian.

 

The most commonly known poly word is probably polygon. This one-l poly word shouldn’t be confused with the two-l “Polly gone,” meaning your pet parrot has flown the coop. Sorry. I couldn’t resist some silliness. A polygon is a multi-sided geometric figure with a certain number of sides and angles. First the triangle (3 sides), then the quadrilateral (4), and then they morph into the “gon” series: pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, nonagon, decagon, and so on.

 

A word that sounds like it could be related to polygons is polymath. Its actual meaning has nothing to do with mathematics; it’s someone who knows a lot about many different subjects. Leonardo DaVinci is probably the most famous polymath; Thomas Jefferson is another celebrated one. Elon Musk’s name appears on some lists. Polymaths are usually great solvers of complex problems.

 

Mathematics does have special meaning for polytechnic universities. They specialize in providing hands-on, practical, and applied education in STEM fields. These are increasingly popular and important fields, specifically science, technology, engineering and math. Some schools that are not polytechnics incorporate art into the mix and use the acronym STEAM. Brown University and RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) have had STEAM collaborations.

 

Far less interesting are poly words that come from science, especially the many types of polymers. First of these is polyester, the easy-care fiber for all seasons. Then there are the PVC and PET bottles (polyvinylchloride and polyethylene terephthalate) that we’re encouraged to recycle. We coat our outdoor furniture with polyurethane. I see your eyes glazing over the way the furniture does, so I’ll move on from science.

 

I love the next two poly words because they have creative connections. Polyphonic instruments are capable of producing many sounds simultaneously, like my mother’s baby grand on which I took piano lessons in elementary school. Polyphonic choral pieces are written for many voices (but not mine). Polychromatic artworks use multiple colors vs. monochromatic ones. I majored in art in college and always liked polychromes.

 

One of my favorite “poly” words is polydactyl. We see this most often when describing cats that have extra toes. They’re always so adorable with the cutest little mitten paws! Not so common are polydactyl babies, those born with extra fingers. I don’t know anyone who has a baby with this condition but I’ve seen many polydactyl cats. I’m sure I’ve adopted one or two, though it’s not something I paid a lot of attention to. I think I’ll go count my cats’ toes right now.

 

Copyright 2024 Business Theatre Unlimited

No comments: