BlogHer

Thursday, December 8, 2022

I’m Grateful for Being Grateful

 

This is the time of year when we read a lot about gratitude. Friends often hear me talk about the importance of having “an attitude of gratitude.” Not everyone shares my opinion. A recent Washington Post article cited research that suggested the benefits of showing gratitude to others. It wondered why we don’t give thanks more often. Another article offered 20 ways to “spark gratitude.”

 

I’m not a religious person, but I consider myself to be spiritual. I practice daily meditations, what most of you would probably call prayers. Some are prayers of gratitude for things in my life and in the lives of family and friends. Some are prayers of supplication, usually health related, for family and friends but rarely, if ever, for myself. These meditations keep me centered and focused. Plus, they help keep my blood pressure down, reason enough to practice them daily.

 

I can pinpoint exactly when I began doing this. My niece delivered her daughter at 23 weeks 3 days into her pregnancy. This micropreemie weighed just one pound seven ounces and was not expected to survive. Today she is a thriving eighteen year old, working on her college applications. When she was born, I began praying for her; I still do. Her survival is one of the first things on my daily list of what I’m grateful for.

 

Another is that I’m a 32 year breast cancer survivor. The past two years have been spent battling lung cancer. While I’m thankful for all of my good test results, I don’t ask for them. I was originally told I was stage 4, with a 2 to 5 year usual survival expectation. That was 2 years ago, but my tumor hasn’t grown during that time. I’m not receiving any more treatments and am now in what is considered a maintenance phase. I get regular CT scans to make sure there’s nothing new going on in my lungs.

 

Early into my treatment, I remember thinking about my grandniece, the micropreemie, who faced many health challenges early on in her life. When she was born, if I had been told that, in exchange for her survival, I had to agree to get terminal lung cancer in 20 years, I would have taken the deal. After all, at age 59, living until at least age 79 seemed reasonable if it meant this tiny treasure would live. Of course, looking back is easy when you know you’re already 75 and you’ll be beating the odds if you pass 80.

 

Her survival and continued development set me on the path to my daily meditations. The list of those for whom I request health interventions keeps growing. Sadly, some people fall off that list because they’ve lost their battle, usually with some type of cancer. They’re quickly replaced with others who have an equally challenging health issue. When I learn that someone’s cancer is now in remission, I’m filled with gratitude on their behalf. It lifts my spirits to celebrate their success.

 

When I share my philosophy about having an attitude of gratitude, I’m occasionally met with a pessimistic: “I have nothing to be grateful for.” I counter that everyone has something worth giving thanks for. You just have to think about what happens in your daily life. If there is one person with whom you would not want to trade places, you should have no complaints. Be thankful you’re not in their shoes. Everyone knows at least someone who is dealing with major problems that they would not want to face. If it’s not health, it might be financial or relationship issues.

 

I feel sorry for anyone who cannot get past feeling that they have nothing to be grateful for. Meditating on all the good things in my life, all the blessings I and my family and my friends have, lifts me up every day as I mentally go through that list. How very sad for those who are missing out on this opportunity.

 

Being grateful for the good things in other folks’ lives can benefit you, too. But being grateful for the good things in your own life… Well, that’s a blessing that can’t easily be quantified but most certainly should not be ignored or forgotten. In this season of giving thanks, and on every day, I’m so grateful for being grateful!

 

Copyright 2022 Business Theatre Unlimited

1 comment:

Lynn Hickey said...

Beautiful thoughts!